Optum, the fastest growing part of UnitedHealth Group, is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business. Our teams are dedicated to modernizing the health care system and improving the lives of people and communities.
Serving virtually every dimension of the health system, we work with a diverse set of clients across 150 countries – from those who diagnose and treat patients to those who pay for care, deliver health services, and those who supply the cures. Optum maintains operations across North America, South America, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Middle East. Our innovative partnerships provide technology and tools that enable unprecedented collaboration and efficiency. As a result, we can tap into valuable health care data to uncover insights and develop strategies for better care at lower costs.
Careers with Optum offer flexible work arrangements and individuals who live and work in the Republic of Ireland will have the opportunity to split their monthly work hours between our Dublin or Letterkenny office and telecommuting from a home-based office.
About the role:
As a Data Scientist you will play an important role within our Optum Ireland analytics team and will have the opportunity to work with healthcare data across many parts of our business giving a unique opportunity to generate insights across the entire lifecycle of a member.
- Be an independent thinker and advocate of data science methods and applications
- Research, develop and apply new innovative analytics methods and technologies from other domains to healthcare data
- The ability for critical thinking outside your immediate sphere of responsibility
- Work with autonomy and in partnership with other Data Scientists to find solutions to complex problems
- Leverage technical / analytical expertise across the enterprise to architect, deploy and oversee analytics and technology solutions
- Prototype new products and solutions that have the capability to transform the industry
- Ability to articulate and paint a vision, with strong communication and presentation skills, as well as strengths in translating highly complex concepts, results, models and technologies in ways that can be understood by a variety of audiences
- Be familiar with the state-of-the-art around big data analytics and associated technologies and techniques
- Have experience with Commercial environments and/or Products (not just internal focused)
- Be a leader for a variety of projects including proofs of concept, new product / component development, and reengineering initiatives among others.
- Work as part of a small team, sharing ideas and contributing to the strategic goals.
You will be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role, as well as providing development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering/computer/statistics or a related field/equivalent experience
- Experience in analytics / data science in a business or academic context
- Demonstrated experience using programming to solve complex technical problems
- Demonstrated experience accessing data from various data environments Ability to work a portion of monthly work hours from our Dublin or Letterkenny office is required
- Masters degree pr PhD in a technical field (e.g. computer science, science, engineering, math / stats, physics etc.)
- Core knowledge of statistics, machine-learning and numerical / computational methods with experience in the application of these methods to business problems
- Extensive programming experience with Python/Pyspark or other analytics languages
- Experience working within a software development team and using version control systems such as Git..
- Experience of large-scale distributed computing environments (Hadoop, Hive, Databricks etc)
- Experience developing analytical solutions on cloud computing platforms i.e. Azure
- Experience applying deep learning methods to business problems using TensorFlow, Keras, etc.
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised learning methods for model build and deployment
- Experience applying computational algorithms and statistical methods to structured and unstructured data
- Experience of the US Healthcare sector
Please note you must currently be eligible to work and remain indefinitely without any restrictions in the country to which you are making an application. Proof will be required to support your application.
Careers with United Health Group. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective: make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, click here
All telecommuters will be required to adhere to the UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job keywords: #RPO, Business Intelligence, Analyst Lead, Analyst, Senior Research Analyst, Data Science, Machine Learning, Predictive Modelling,Modelling