Center 1 (19052), United States of America, McLean, VirginiaData Scientist - Python Developer
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you’ll be part of a team that’s leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in computing and machine learning technologies and operating across billions of customer records to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time and agony in their financial lives.Team Description
This role is on the Creditflow team. Creditflow is a Python package which serves as the analytical foundation of the US credit card business. Users leverage our elegant python interface to score Capital One’s models which predict potential value. With this information, our users build the business strategy which determines which customers get approved and what card terms they receive.
The Creditflow team is part of the Card Credit Innovation team. We are a fun, diverse, cross-functional team of engineers, data scientists, and product managers. We’re passionate about creating a positive, collaborative environment where we each grow our respective skill sets. This role involves joining our developer team which follows agile, software engineering, and DevOps best practices. Our work is a good mix of smaller tasks and larger, more involved projects. Our tech stack includes Python, Conda, AWS, Jenkins, and our Python packages include numba, dask, pytest, flake, scikit-learn, xgboost, and gurobi.Role Description
You’ll work both independently and as a pair on a wide variety of technical tasks including:
The Ideal Candidate is:
- Writing code to build new features, address bugs, and tackle tech debt
- Wrangling data
- Implementing machine learning models
- Supporting users and our platform
- Larger strategic initiatives like architecture changes
- Technical. You have experience with Python and are motivated to learn more. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms. You are familiar with machine learning, can intelligently build and discuss models with a passion for engineering too
- Innovative. You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative. You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You’re not afraid to share a new idea.
- Teamwork. You are a successful individual contributor, but also knows teamwork is the secret to modern software teams
- You are interested in growing into a tech lead role in the future or continuing to develop as an individual contributor - we welcome both
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 2 years of experience in data analytics, or Master’s Degree, or PhD
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
- Master’s Degree in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics), or PhD in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
- Experience working with AWS
- At least 2 years’ experience in Python, Scala, or R
- At least 2 years’ experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years’ experience with SQL
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com . All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).