FedEx ServicesJob Title:
Data Engineer IJob Requisition Number:
Information TechnologyPay Type:
Memphis, Tennessee 38120
Chalfont, Pennsylvania 18914
The Data Engineer I plays a pivotal role within Dataworks, focused on supporting the delivery of engineering innovation within Dataworks, helping to execute the delivery of key business initiatives. S/he acts as a “universal translator” between IT, business, software engineers and data scientists, collaborating with these multi-disciplinary teams. The Data Engineer I will contribute to the adherence of technical standards for data engineering, including the selection and refinements of foundational technical components. S/he will work on those aspects of the Dataworks platform that govern the ingestion, transformation, and pipelining of data assets, both to end users within FedEx and into data products and services that may be externally facing. Day-to-day, s/he will be deeply involved in code development and small-scale deployments.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Understanding in depth both the business and technical problems Dataworks aims to solve
- Building tools, platforms and pipelines to enable teams to clearly and cleanly analyze data, build models and drive decisions
- Scaling up from “laptop-scale” to “cluster scale” problems, in terms of both infrastructure and problem structure and technique
- Delivering tangible value very rapidly, collaborating with diverse teams of varying backgrounds and disciplines
- Following best practices for future reuse in the form of accessible, reusable patterns, templates, and code bases
- Interacting with junior technologists from the broader enterprise and outside of FedEx (partner ecosystems and customers) to create synergies and ensure smooth deployments to downstream operational systems
Skill/Knowledge Considered a Plus:
- Technical background in computer science, software engineering, database systems, distributed systems
- Familiarity with distributed and cloud environments and some understanding of how to balance computational considerations with theoretical properties
- Detailed knowledge of the Microsoft Azure tooling for large-scale data engineering efforts and deployments is highly preferred
- Some experience with designing and deploying large scale technical solutions, which deliver tangible, ongoing value
- Direct experience having built and deployed robust, complex production systems that implement modern, data scientific methods at scale
- Ability to context-switch, to provide support to dispersed teams which may need an “expert hacker” to unblock an especially challenging technical obstacle, and to work through problems as they are still being defined
- Demonstrated ability to deliver technical projects with a team, often working under tight time constraints to deliver value
- An ‘engineering’ mindset, willing to make rapid, pragmatic decisions to improve performance, accelerate progress or magnify impact
- Comfort with working with distributed teams on code-based deliverables, using version control systems and code reviews
- Ability to conduct data analysis, investigation, and lineage studies to document and enhance data quality and access
- Use of agile and devops practices for project and software management including continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Demonstrated expertise working with some of the following common languages and tools:
- Spark (Scala and PySpark), HDFS, Kafka and other high volume data tools
- SQL and NoSQL storage tools, such as MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB and ElasticSearch
- Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Matplotlib, TensorFlow, Jupyter and other Python data tools
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics or Engineering and/or equivalent formal training or work experience. Basic knowledge in data engineering and machine learning frameworks including design, development and implementation of highly complex systems and data pipelines. Basic knowledge in Information Systems including design, development and implementation of large batch or online transaction-based systems. Experience as a junior member of multi-functional project teams. Strong oral and written communication skills. A related advanced degree may offset the related experience requirements.
The data engineer will have strong computer science fundamentals including advanced algorithms, object-oriented programming, and data structures using Java or Python and apply that knowledge to extract from various data sources, and load and transform on Microsoft Azure. They should be able to leverage devops processes as part of SDLC and work in a fast-paced agile environment ensuring continuous delivery of high-quality software.
The ideal candidate should be able to:
Design, develop, test and deploy configurable, scalable, and robust pipelines to ingest, parse and transform large volumes batch and streaming of data.
Implement software solutions, including containerized microservices, on server less and managed services on cloud
Review requirements and data models and translate into solutions
Apply software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, analysis/design, documentation, coding standards, code reviews, source code management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Skills that would be considered a plus:
1. Spark (Scala or Pyspark)
2. Microsoft Azure Cloud platform including Eventhubs, Data Lake Storage, Azure Functions, Azure Spring Cloud, Databricks, Synapse
3. DevOps using Azure DevOps or Github and Github Actions
FedEx. Where now meets next.
Our vision is to be the earth's most engaged advocates of connected commerce where open borders, new markets and fair, sustainable practices are the norm for the billions of personal supply chains being managed every day in our always on, mobile-first world. We stand for ease, access and opportunity. We lead purposeful innovation, champion entrepreneurs, advocate free trade and empower humans and their place in the era of autonomy and AI. We fight for our customers, a more sustainable planet and an ethical playing field.
FedEx inspires its more than 570,000 team members to remain focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. FedEx is committed to connecting people and possibilities around the world responsibly and resourcefully, with a goal to achieve carbon-neutral operations by 2040.
FedEx has been recognized on many different lists both for business success and for being a great employer:
- Fortune World’s Most Admired Companies – 2021
- Forbes Best Employers for Diversity - 2021
- LinkedIn Top 100 Companies - 2021
- TIME 100 Most Influential Companies - 2021
- World HRD Congress Best Gender Equality Workplace – 2021
- InsiderPro ComputerWorld Best Places to Work for IT – 2021
Upload current copy of Resume (Microsoft Word or PDF format only) and answer job screening questionnaire by close of business (5:00pm CST) on the date below. If the date below is blank, there is no specified closing date for this requisition.
FedEx Services is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetics disability, or protected Veteran status.
FedEx Services does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities in regard to job application procedures, hiring, and other terms and conditions of employment. Further, FedEx Services is prepared to make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant or employee to enable the applicant or employee to be considered for the desired position, to perform the essential functions of the position in question, or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated employees without disabilities, unless the accommodation will impose an undue hardship. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.