About the Business Intelligence Team
Do you enjoy working on an energetic and innovative team that is moving the needle with all things data on a daily basis? At Bangor Savings Bank, we are hiring a Data Engineer, at a Senior or Principal level, to join the growing and talented Business Intelligence (BI) team. As part of this team, you will be critical to the success of onboarding new data sources for consumption by the BI team or business line stakeholders.
About the Role
As a full-time, Data Engineer, you will be responsible for the creation of data pipelines required to support various use cases or project initiatives at Bangor Savings Bank. You will design & deploy data warehouses, data marts, and data lakes where appropriate as data stores for business intelligence solutions. You will identify gaps and improvements to the data management systems with an emphasis on automation, quality and data delivery solutions. You will implement full end-to-end Data Warehousing solutions including data architecture, data provisioning, data integration, data publishing, and execute effectively as part of a team.
This role requires initiative, drive, and a strong work ethic. The position balances a fast-paced work environment with doing things meticulously and properly; working independently within highly collaborative integrated teams.
A Senior-level Data Engineer is additionally expected to have a practical working knowledge of data modelling concepts and will be able to successfully lead teams or projects related to data design and deployment. An individual in the senior role will require a demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with teams and business lines throughout the bank in a productive and thoughtful manner. This position is expected to act as a role model for other BI team members in all aspects of daily work, including the education of less experienced team members, and by leading by example.
A Principal-level Data Engineer is additionally expected to provide leadership and mentoring to other BI team members – both analysts and technical staff. This role additionally takes a proactive approach to continue their education and maintain an expert level working knowledge. Persons in this position are considered the most senior of BI staff, and as such, will be expected to take primary responsibility for developing solutions and fulfilling job duties. This position may also act as a backup for management in several capacities including, but not limited to, training, coaching, and mentoring fellow employees. They will lead within BI, and work on strategic initiatives that are key to the success of business lines.
You’re Excited About this Opportunity Because You Will…
- Collaborate with project leads, business analysts, end users and third-party contacts to design, implement and test data warehouse applications.
- Design, build, enhance, and maintain ETL processes to make new and existing data sources.
- Develop and perform unit, system, performance and regression testing on ETL mappings.
- Design and develop enterprise and departmental business intelligence and data warehousing solutions.
- Interact with end users and business analysts to understand reporting/dashboard requirements.
- Perform data profiling of source data to identify data quality issues and anomalies, business knowledge embedded in data, gathering of natural keys, and metadata information.
- Support and improve production data integration system and environment.
- Understand the data architecture needs and data structures in the source systems and business processes.
- Design data marts for business units and collaborate with development teams during the implementation.
- Collaborate with internal & external data consumers to understand their data needs and drive towards unifying collections of data requirements for key data elements across the organization.
- Document and maintain documentation related to data mapping and other data design artifacts that encompass data specifications, business & transformation rules.
- Collaborate with vendors and internal developers in requirements gathering sessions with stakeholders to determine user needs and capture data requirements.
- Translate business requirements and data needs into solutions easily used for reporting, scorecards and dashboards.
- Apply Bank standards and industry best practices to the ongoing management of the database infrastructure and related technologies.
- Demonstrate ownership of database and related technologies and all issues that arise with them.
- Ensure the highest levels of availability and performance within BI systems and infrastructure.
- Perform BI Administrative functions as requested.
We’re Excited About You Because You…
- Have demonstrated experience using SSIS, Talend or other similar ETL tools in a data warehouse environment.
- Have a high proficiency in a MS SQL environment.
- Are analytical, observe processes and trends; make recommendations for process changes that help achieve departmental and individual goals.
- Take initiative and independent action, operate as a pro-active self-starter, act on opportunities, and practice self-development.
- Are adaptable and flexible, aren’t afraid of change, open to new ideas, take on new challenges, handle pressure, adjust plans to meet changing needs.
- Have integrity and ethics to deal with others in a straightforward, honest manner, are accountable for you own actions, maintain confidentiality, support company values, and convey news good or bad.
- Have good interpersonal skills including active listening skills and negotiation techniques.
- Have the vision and values of BSB!
- Have a strong organization system and use that system for the improvement and advancement of personal and team goals.
- Have relevant employment experience and demonstrated abilities as a Data Engineer.
- Have the desire and ability to maintain knowledge and skill currency within the fast-changing technological realm.
What You Bring to the Table is…
- A BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field or relevant work experience in the field.
- Experience and implementation of Data Architecture, Data Lake, Data Marts, Operational Data Store, Analytical systems & Metadata management initiatives.
- Experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling.
- Experience working with APIs like REST APIs, SDKs and CLI tools as part of ETL provisioning.
- Experience working with multi-format files likes JSON, XML, CSV, Flat, etc.
- Relevant technical certification(s) strongly preferred.
- Exceptional troubleshooting abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong documentation skills, to include proficiency with MS-Word, MS-Excel and MS-Visio.
- Expert-level knowledge of modern databases and their related toolsets, reporting packages, and underlying technologies.
- Strong knowledge of SQL development, performance tuning, index management.
- Hands-on experience with data modeling techniques, including with star schemas and contemporary ETL strategies.
- Strong knowledge of relational and multi-dimensional databases.
- Analytical approach to problem solving and process improvement.
- Willingness and ability to maintain knowledge regarding relevant current and emerging technologies and industry trends and best practices.
You’ll Love Working at Bangor Savings Bank Because We…
- Are a successful, vibrant, and innovative company.
- Care most about our employees, our customers and our communities.
- Believe every interaction is an opportunity to provide a “You Matter More” experience.
- Believe in autonomy & initiative taking.
- Are a technologically and data-driven business.
- Have a smart, experienced, and diverse leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- Have a beautiful new campus in Bangor, Maine.
External and internal applications, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on an individual basis.